About me...

Pop the lid on my Mason Jar and meet my family. Jim {Jimma} and I have four kids, Creston (Ashley), Jami (Matt), Brandon and Chance. Our grandkids, Cade, Kirby, Eisley, Beck and Reed bring us more joy than any Mason Jar could ever hold. I am counting my blessings over and over and thanking God for His amazing love and grace.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

An Old Card

I blog for me! I blog so that I will have things in writing, that I want to remember, especially when it’s something that will encourage me in my walk with God. When I’m going through a tough time and need a reminder of all that God has brought me through, it strengthens my faith to go back and read some of my posts. That’s the reason for this post.

I've been helping Mom move this past week and yesterday I gave her a box of papers and cards to sort through that I had packed. As she emptied the box, she read a card, handed it to me and said, "here's an old one." I immediately recognized the front of the card as one that I had sent her and Dad, and remembered how much I loved the poem that was on the front. I was surprised when I opened the card and read the date. It was dated five days after I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Reading what I wrote on the inside of the card made me more aware of how much God has brought me through and the value of trusting in Him.

The poem “Cares” by Elizabeth Barrett Browning was on the front of the card -

The little cares that fretted me
I lost them yesterday.
Among the fields above the sea,
among the winds at play;
Among the lowing of the herds,
The rustling of the trees,
Among the singing of the birds,
The humming of the bees.
The foolish fears of what may happen,
I cast them all away.
Among the clover-scented grass,
Among the new-mown hay;
Among the husking of the corn
Where drowsy poppies nod,
Where ill thoughts die and good are born,
Out in the fields with God.

The inside of the card -

December 27, 1995,
Mom and Dad,
Thank you so much for rasing me in a Christian home and for always being there for me. I’ve always felt so secure in your love. Your support, concern and care mean the world to me.
Thank you for showing me that when things are at their darkest, there’s always God. This past week I realized that He never leaves me - even in those dark gloomy times.
I love you both,

Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment