About me...

Pop the lid on my Mason Jar and meet my family. Jim {Jimma} and I have four kids, Creston (Ashley), Jami (Matt), Brandon and Chance. Our grandkids, Cade, Kirby, Eisley, Beck and Reed bring us more joy than any Mason Jar could ever hold. I am counting my blessings over and over and thanking God for His amazing love and grace.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

here a shrimp, there a shrimp...

According to the old-timers around here, this is the best year the shrimp have run in twenty years. It must be true because there is a bountiful supply of shrimp this year. I think it would be safe to say that I’ve seen more shrimp, cleaned more shrimp, ate more shrimp and froze more shrimp in the past six weeks, than I have in my entire life!

This is the first year I’ve gone shrimping and I’m doing things that I never thought I’d do. One night I was watching Jim shrimp and jokingly said, “show me how to cast that net!” He looked at me and asked, “Are you serious?” I don’t think he thought I would do it, and I probably wouldn’t have, but not being one to back down, I had to go for it. He showed me how to hold the net, grabbing part of it and putting one of the weights in my mouth. Ughhh! Putting something in my mouth that had just come out of the river, just seemed plain gross. Somehow I got past the gross part, gave it a whirl, and not only was my first cast halfway decent, I caught shrimp! That first cast "hooked" me on shrimping and I've enjoyed every minute since that I've gone. Casting the net, looking in the water as I pull it in, and hearing the sound the shrimp make in the net (music to my ears!) is some of the most fun I’ve had in a long time.

We have shrimp, shrimp and more shrimp and they’re still coming! We’ve given them to friends and neighbors, carted them to Mom’s to put in her freezer, and have even bartered shrimp for freezer space with a couple of friends. We are cooking shrimp every other day, trying different recipes, searching for new ones, and Jim has even invented a few new concoctions.

Most of all, we’ve had good times and made some fun memories. Not only did I learn to cast a shrimp net, but Kirby did as well, and Cade perfected his casting. Both of them can cast a net almost as good as any grown-up I’ve seen. I never thought we would find something that the grandkids enjoy doing as much as we do, but they both love to shrimp and we’ve had loads of fun watching them.

Cade's first casting lesson - August 2060


Cade casting - August 2010




Kirby learning to cast - August 2010


The girl can cast a net!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment