About me...

Pop the lid on my Mason Jar and meet my family. Jim {Jimma} and I have four kids, Creston (Ashley), Jami (Matt), Brandon and Chance. Our grandkids, Cade, Kirby, Eisley, Beck and Reed bring us more joy than any Mason Jar could ever hold. I am counting my blessings over and over and thanking God for His amazing love and grace.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Yummy Recipes

We had a family dinner at my parent’s house on Saturday to celebrate Dad’s birthday. Thought I’d share a couple of the recipes I made on Saturday and the Chocolate Cherry Cake recipe I made for Mom’s birthday this past July. For Dad’s birthday I made a recipe that his mom, “Essie T” used to make. One of my favorite childhood memories is seeing this fruit salad on her counter when we went to visit. It was the bomb!

Granny Essie’s Fruit Salad
Combine the following:
2 small red apples, core and chop
1 can crushed pineapple in it’s own juice, drained
1 small jar Maraschino cherries, drained
1 small pack of miniature marshmallows

In top of double boiler, whisk together and cook until thickened:
2 eggs
2 Tbsp. vinegar
2 Tbsp. sugar

Cool and set aside.

Whip 8 oz. of whipping cream until stiff. Fold the egg mixture into the whipping cream and then coat the fruit salad mixture with it. I like to add 1 Tbsp. sugar to the salad. Chill an hour before serving.

I promise you won’t taste the vinegar/egg mixture in this recipe. The whipping cream tones it down and balances it out, making a delightful fluffy fruit salad.


Mexican Lasagna
1 lb ground beef
½ cup chopped green pepper
½ cup chopped onion
2/3 cup water
1 package Taco Seasoning Packet
1 can black beans (drained)
1 can Mexi-corn (do not drain)
1 can Mexican diced tomatoes (I used Rotel - mild flavor)
1 can refried beans
3 cups cheese - I use a Mexican blend
6 (8 inch) flour tortillas

Brown the ground beef, green pepper and onion. Drain. Add the water and Taco Seasoning packet. Simmer for 2 minutes and add the black beans, Mexi-corn and diced tomatoes. Simmer for 10 minutes. Spray a 13x9 inch pan with Pam. Put 2 tortillas in bottom of a pan. Then spread ½ can refried beans on tortillas and top with ½ the beef mixture, then 1 cup cheese. Repeat layers. Top with 2 flour tortillas and 1 cup of cheese. Spray tin foil with Pam (to keep cheese from sticking) and cover casserole. Bake 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

This recipe fills a 9x13 pan to the top. It’s a delicious casserole that’s simple to make and feeds a lot of people.


Chocolate Cherry Cake
1 box Devils Food Cake Mix
1 can cherry pie filling
2 eggs
2 teaspoons of almond extract
1 cup granulated sugar
5 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup evaporated milk
6 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips

Preheat over to 350. In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, cherry pie filling, eggs and almond extract until blended. Pour in a greased 13x9 pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Ice cake while warm

Icing
Boil sugar, butter and evaporated milk for one minute. Stir in chocolate chips. Immediately pour over cake.

If you love chocolate covered cherries, you’ll love this cake! Try serving with vanilla ice cream. Yummy!

1 comment:

  1. Signed up as a follower of your blog -- don't really know what that means but you can see a little picture of me! I also should automatically get a copy each time you post through an RSS feed. Look forward to hearing more from you! P.S. Love the picture of your dad!

    ReplyDelete